Closure of gaps between teeth (diastemata) with 8 E.max all-ceramic crowns
Our young female patient reported to our clinic with the following requests:
- As a young and attractive woman she was rather disturbed by the gap between her teeth (diastema).
- She felt ill at ease to smile.
- She wanted to regain her self-confidence by the aesthetic rehabilitation of her teeth.
- She sought to have uniform teeth without gaps. She knew that her natural teeth had to be filed down to this end but she wanted to have her smile restored by all means.
The fabrication of E. max all-ceramic crowns (10 workdays)
At the first encounter a panoramic radiograph and photos were taken of the teeth. Dr. Suba and the patient discussed the options and decided in favour of all-ceramic crowns to be designed for the upper (8) teeth. Since her teeth were sound (were neither filled or root canal treated) the decision fell upon E.max (IVOCLAR) all-ceramic crowns which are perfectly suited for the purpose in terms of aesthetics.
What we should know about all-ceramic crowns:
- They can alter the size, position, colour and shape, of front teeth.
- They are perfectly suited for correcting aesthetic shortcomings of the front teeth such as crowded teeth, gaps between teeth (diastema), discolorations, broken incisal edges, and developmental disorders of the enamel incorrigible by teeth whitening.
- They are not applicable with teeth reinforced with metal post and cores since the greyish, blackish shade shows through beneath the all-ceramic crown.
- E.max crowns contain no metal (metal-free crown, tooth restoration) and thus comply with the highest aesthetic demands.
- Less tooth material and enamel needs to be filed down as compared to conventional metal-ceramic crowns.
- The size and colour of all-ceramic crowns can be perfectly adjusted to our natural teeth.
- Being thin, they do not disturb the tongue and the lips and getting used to them poses no issues.
- When fabricating all-ceramic crowns a few other considerations must also be taken into account. All-ceramic crowns should be forgone in case of patients with bruxism (tooth clenching or grinding.
Following the filing and preparation of teeth a precision impression is taken thereof. Zoom AP in office-whitening is carried out so we can find a matching colour for the all-ceramic crowns to achieve a perfect smile. The patient’s every single request is forwarded to the dental technician. The fabrication, trial fitting and luting of all-ceramic crowns is a high-precision and time-intensive procedure. Our patient preserved her equanimity in spite of the ordeals posed by the long treatments. In her account, every minute she spent in the dental chair were worth the final result. She was struggling with her tears when she sighted her new smile in the mirror.
The finished tooth restoration needs to be checked at regular intervals, which is also a condition for warranty. It is often thought that no professional tartar removal is required in case of tooth restorations, but this is a misbelief. Tartar may also deposit on tooth restorations and regular professional cleaning, therefore, has to be carried out by a dental hygienist at least once or twice a year.
The restored smile
Keywords: E.max (IVOCLAR), all-ceramic crown, metal-free crown, metal-free tooth restoration, aesthetic rehabilitation, in-office Zoom AP teeth whitening, tartar removal, diastema, tooth grinding, bruxism