Closure of gaps between teeth (diastemata) with 6 E.max all-ceramic crowns
Our female patient, aged 42, reported to our clinic with the following requests:
- She was rather disturbed by the gap between her teeth (diastema).
- She longed to smile again without being embarrassed.
- She sought to have uniform teeth without gaps. She was aware that to this end her healthy natural teeth had to be filed down.
- She wanted to regain her self-confidence by the aesthetic rehabilitation of her teeth.
The fabrication of E. max all-ceramic crowns (10 workdays)
At the first encounter a panoramic radiograph and photos were taken of the teeth. Since her teeth were neither filled, root canal treated or discoloured but thoroughly sound E.max (IVOCLAR) all-ceramic crowns would offer a perfect solution in aesthetic terms.
Panoramic radiograph of the initial state
Once the teeth were filed and prepared a precision impression was taken thereof. The patient’s every single request was forwarded to the dental technician along with her photographs. Zoom AP in office-whitening is carried out to find a matching colour for the all-ceramic crowns to achieve a perfect smile. The fabrication, trial fitting and luting of all-ceramic crowns is a high-precision and time-intensive procedure. But our patient is thoroughly satisfied with her new teeth and feels at ease to smile, which has given her back her self-confidence.
It is often thought that no professional tartar removal is required in case of tooth restorations (crowns and bridges), but this is a misbelief. Tartar may also deposit on tooth restorations and bridges. The long-term success of the tooth restoration therefore greatly depends on regular professional cleaning carried out by a dental hygienist at least once or twice a year.
The finished all ceramic crowns on the master cast
Follow-up radiograph of the finished all ceramic crowns
Facts about all-ceramic crowns:
- They are perfectly suited for correcting aesthetic shortcomings of the front teeth such as crowded teeth, gaps between teeth (diastema), discolorations, broken incisal edges, and developmental disorders of the enamel incorrigible by teeth whitening.
- They can alter the size, position, colour and shape, of front teeth.
- They are not applicable with teeth reinforced with metal post and cores since the greyish, blackish shade shows through beneath all-ceramic crowns.
- E.max crowns contain no metal (metal-free crown, tooth restoration) and thus comply with the highest aesthetic demands.
- Less tooth material and enamel needs to be filed down as compared to conventional metal-ceramic crowns.
- The size and colour of all-ceramic crowns can be perfectly adjusted to our natural teeth.
- Being thin, they do not disturb the tongue and the lips and are easy to get used to.
- When fabricating all-ceramic crowns a few other considerations must also be taken into account. All-ceramic crowns should be forgone in case of patients with bruxism (tooth clenching or grinding).